I really would like to enable wiki translations, but doing so right now would make the VisualEditor unusable due to it not being compatible with the Translate extension, you can view more about the issue here:
- We can choose right now, either disable VisualEditor and have translations or have VisualEditor and no translations. --Ryozuki (talk) 12:39, 3 March 2021 (CET)
- what about adding a different method of translation like in the openstreetmap wiki (e.g. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ID/Shortcuts)? Tbh I really like the VisualEditor. --Zwelf (talk) 16:49, 1 May 2021 (CEST)
- If u will add it pls notify me, i would translate major part of wiki into russian. --Anime.pdf (talk) 20:42, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- i guess the easiest way is to add /es es being the language code after the page you want to translate, e.g: Main_Page/es for a spanish version, and all the links will have to put /es --Ryozuki (talk) 20:54, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- Is it possible to use the same tool as Wikipedia, the "Content translation" (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation)? I see Wikipedia use it and also VisualEditor. --Rafaelff (talk) 12:17, 21 August 2021 (CEST)
- Yes, this extension would be useful for translators and regular users alike, but the inability to use VisualEditor might discourage new users --Mugenson1kku (talk) 09:49, 6 September 2021 (CEST)
Gif-like explain videos[edit source]
Would it be possible to autoplay and loop the explain videos like they are gifs? In the old wiki we included them like this: `<video style="max-width:100%" controls muted autoplay loop src="/videos/jump-height.mp4" type="video/mp4"></video>` Zwelf (talk) 16:53, 1 May 2021 (CEST)
About embedding youtube videos[edit source]
I would prefer not to load the youtube video on the main page. There is a extension to embed videos privacy friendly. Could we switch to this extension?
- Found on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo
Zwelfs Wishlist[edit source]
- E-Mail notifications about changes on Watchlist
- Plugin: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Thanks
- Plugin: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews
Sorry I didn't answer before, I was a bit bussy, I will try to change the video embedding and add the recommended extensions soon, about email, i guess i can ask deen if he has a smtp server setup or maybe i can make it use mine. test Ryozuki (talk) 00:04, 13 May 2021 (CEST)
I updated mediawiki to 1.35.2, now im using buster-backports so its easier to manage, I also get the extensions using git checked out at the correct tag, which will make updating easier.
I changed the EmbedVideo extension to the one you mentioned, i also added Echo, Thanks and StructuredDiscussions.
Small Pages[edit source]
Wikis turn me off when they have pages that are relatively empty and do not really contribute something meaningful enough to deserve its own page. Is there some smooth solution to maybe have pages be unreachable until they have meaningful content? In many cases, it's probably possible to just move the page into a subsection of a different page. I know we mostly want contributions, no matter how small, however new pages can litter over time and could in the future deteriorate the quality of the wiki. Maybe you have a different opinion or have thoughts about this? --Patiga (talk) 17:25, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- I don't think it's a concern we should have right now when the wiki isn't mature enough, we can always restructure and move stuff. --Ryozuki (talk) 18:04, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
Duplicate Information[edit source]
Duplicate information leads to higher maintenance cost, which I would like to avoid. I do not think we need to copy information that is just as accessible in another place, especially we don't add new information to it. For example, imo we don't need the Version page (https://ddnet.tw/downloads/) and I'm also not sure about the 'Settings and Commands' page, although I'm not sure how much is just copied there. Other opinions, thoughts? --Patiga (talk) 17:25, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- I really like not having to go outside the wiki to find all the information... but maybe thats just me.
- As for maintenance cost, there isnt much besides remembering to update them, if you go to the Talk pages of versions and settings and commands you will see those are generated by scripts made by me, so its pretty effortless to maintain. --Ryozuki (talk) 18:05, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
Organizing main page[edit source]
is there any way to organize the main page a little nicer like this wiki: https://terraria.fandom.com/wiki/Terraria_Wiki where there are certain "blocks" of topics with links to the main subtopics? as of now it's a little odd to have to scroll down a bunch to see what you need + it's a little disorganized imo -louis
Add an Extra tools topic[edit source]
DDNet has these extra tools with source located in "src/tools" folder in the source code repository. I even documented some info about it on DDRaceNetwork page on ArchWiki, but I feel those belong here instead. That page could be used as starting point for creating a proper Extra tools page. What do you think about it? -- Rafaelff (talk) 21:19, 21 August 2021 (CEST)
- I think that fits this wiki quite well. In general: anything edited in good faith related to DDNet/Teeworlds is very welcome here. We could also add some "external" tools to that page like those included in twmap (I might do that when you created the page) -- Zwelf (talk) 09:44, 22 August 2021 (CEST)
About map types[edit source]
Useful future pages[edit source]
I think it would be good to create guides on
- How to create a skin some initial resources
- Teeworlds | How to make a skin with Gimp 2.10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MKI6xPfxS4
- Explanation of regions: https://forum.ddnet.tw/download/file.php?id=17403
- For the best resolution you could make it with inkscape as well. E.g. by modifying https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet-data-svg/blob/main/skins/default.svg (https://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=7307)
- How to map
- Map testing <- about the DDNet map testing process for mappers and testers
- I think we can also monitor Discord #questions to accumulate things to write about and link to when the question gets asked again (or if we edit fast enough even for the first questioner). The FAQ article would be a good starting place for questions, but moving them to the correct topic page like Skin Creation would be better if possible. First question (For example a good question to answer is: "how to test a mapped map quickly from editor?") --Zwelf (talk) 23:46, 3 March 2022 (CET)
More advanced techniques to cover[edit source]
Raised by Wohoo in Discord #wiki
other advanced techniques for wiki are: corner hook drag and edge hook to drag.
Also hook and bounce, even if not really a technique.
Triple hammer corner unfreeze maybe.
Swing unfreeze and a lot of other techniques can be listed.
Some could be spoilers of maps and ruin problem solving experience, while others are difficult to be discovered alone (like triple hammer unfreeze at corner).
Hook speed and rehook during drag.
Suspended hook drag.
Explain part where one tee can fall on another vertically and exit freeze, because different side aligned (left vs right wall of same tile), this alignment is needed also for vertical hf, not every body knows that tees are less wide than one tile.
Single jump vs double jump hammerhit behind wall during drag part or hammer floor during drag.
Shotgun wall at right angle to speed, because is not intuitive.
Too much things maybe.
Other techniques: classic tower, align to wall and run to fall and tower, boat
louis's wishlist[edit source]
- Sounds reasonable to me. Although we need to figure out what we want to do with the internal structure ("Always equipped", "Collectable", "Power-ups"). I think adding the jetpack, ... to powerups and changing the title to "Weapons and Powerups" would be a good start --Zwelf (talk) 16:59, 16 April 2022 (UTC)