Here you can find a collection of frequently asked questions. If you want to know how to contribute to this wiki, you can take a look at How to contribute.
If you don't find the answers you want here, you can go to the official Discord
Technical Questions[edit | edit source]
Where is the DDNet config, config directory or save directory?[edit | edit source]
settings_ddnet.cfg file will be your configurations/settings. The config directory can also be used as data directory to replace skins or other files, without modifying the client's data directory (Note: it has the same directory structure as the data directory)
My game skin, entities, autoexec or any other file was overwritten by an update, why?[edit | edit source]
During development we regularly replace, update, or remove files. The updater will overwrite any changes made to the data and binary directories. To make sure that your personal modifications don't get lost use the config directory instead, it has the same directory structure as the "data"-directory that comes with the client.
Is there any documentation about the DDraceNetwork code?[edit | edit source]
The Development page and some blog posts may help you. You can also find auto-generated docs from Doxygen here: https://codedoc.ddnet.org/
"The width of texture ... is not divisible by 16, or the height is not divisible by 16, which might cause visual bugs."[edit | edit source]
The game wants to give you and the image designer the best possible experience, so it specifies the dimensions of the image's appearance so that the designer can be consistent in his creation. In Teeworlds, the grid map is made up of small 16*16 images, so the length and width of the image needs to be divisible by 16 in order to render successfully, otherwise there will be what is called "texture/pixel bleeding". You can search for yourself to learn more.
"No answer from server yet."?[edit | edit source]
It is likely the server is down or not reachable from the client, probably due to DoS attacks. You can try again later.
[edit | edit source]
Check out GFX Troubleshooting.
Gameplay Related[edit | edit source]
How to play with my friends only?[edit | edit source]
There are multiple ways to achieve this:
- Join an empty official DDNet server, and vote any map you want in Escape -> Call Vote, or use "/map" in chat to search for a map. Join a team using "/team 23" in chat, you can /lock the team and /invite others to join it too. This means others can watch you play, and you get official ranks when you finish the map.
- Use a public service to host a public server, like Trashmap: https://trashmap.ddnet.org/ You can upload any map you want, but you won't get official ranks this way.
- Create a LAN Server, and set it up to be public.
What's weak and strong hook?[edit | edit source]
You can find information about this at the Hook page.
How to save and load a run?[edit | edit source]
You can use command
/save to save your run in Team or in a solo map and get a code. You can also type
/save "your code" to use your own code. The run can be restored again with
/load "code" command. Inside the config directory there is a file called ddnet-saves.txt, it will contain the save codes.
Make sure that every player has the same name to load. You and your team members need to be in a team and not have touched the start line to load a save game. Each save game can only be loaded once, so repeat the above steps if you need to save again.
Design Related[edit | edit source]
How to make a map or skin?[edit | edit source]
See Mapping, Skin creation and Resources in general.
How do I upload my map to the official server?[edit | edit source]
If you want to upload your map to the official server, your map should comply with and follow the map creation guidelines. Once you think your map meets all the requirements, you can submit it for review in the submit-maps channel on Discord.
How can I get other players to see the skin that I created?[edit | edit source]
There are two ways to get other players to see your custom skin:
- Others manually add your skin to their game files by pasting it in the skins folder in the config directory.
- Your skin gets added to the official skin database and automatically downloaded for all other players.
If you are interested in the second option, your skin must meet a set of requirements in order to keep consistency with other skins in the database and the game's style:
- Resolution is 256x128
- Outline sizes consistent with other skins
- Fits the tee hitbox well
- No missing, misaligned or cut off parts
- No sharp or floating pixels
- No effects that clash with the game's art style (blur, glow etc.)
- Not too detailed or too plain
- Not an edit of an existing skin
- No elements that could be considered offensive
If you think your skin meets all of them, send it to one of the Skin Database Crew on discord for evaluation.